Sometimes a very special thing happens in the summers in Minneapolis. The stars magically align, and you—completely randomly—end up having the most amazing, spontaneous weekend ever. This was that weekend for me.
In no particular order, this quintisential summer weekend included:
- A miniature backyard birthday party that Brad planned at our place Friday night.
- A full-on Michael Jackson DANCE party for my birthday at First Ave. It was AMAZING on a million different levels. I still have “I Want You Back” stuck in my head and can still taste the vodka tonics.
- Reading magazines and gossiping with Lisa, poolside.
- Rocking my giant sun hat on Saturday AND Sunday.
- Magic Mike (not kidding) with Lauri and Lisa. Channing Tatum is my new Ryan Gosling. Officially.
- Watching Brad learn how to surf. On a lake. Don’t ask.
- Beers and beers and beers on Cuellar’s parents’ pontoon boat at Prior Lake.
- Laughing and swimming simultaneously during sunset <3
- So much watermelon.
- Fireflies, fireworks, Fleetwood Mac, a full moon.
Sigh…still dreaming about it all…
It was also VERY well-timed. Last week was physically and emotionally exhausting thanks to a few big projects at work. But after this amazing weekend, I now feel completely relaxed, rejuvenated and have a fresh, healthier perspective on life. Nothing like swimming at sunset with really funny, warm, loving people to put life and work in perspective. I tend to get swept up in work, assigning a massive amount of weight to my success there. My projects. My coworkers. And yes, those things are important to a degree.
But there is no job more important than living in the moment and opening yourself up to new experiences and people. As humans who are only around for a short period of time, THAT is our real job.